Rabbi Klein’s Impact on the City of Evanston
Rabbi Dov Hillel Klein has provided numerous services to the Evanston and Chicago communities in recent years.
Evanston Police Department
- Developed and founded the Evanston Police Chaplaincy Program.
- Appointed Senior Police Chaplain for the Evanston Police Department; served as program head for 15 years.
- First-responder for death notifications throughout the city; assists victims of trauma and crisis – counselor to both police officers and citizens.
- Leads diversity training for Evanston police officers, command staff, and members of the Citizens Police Academy.
- Accompanies on-duty police officers on “ride alongs” 3-4 times per month.
- Leads the annual City of Evanston Grand Chanukah Candle Lighting & Celebration, attended annually by the City Mayor, City Alderman, Chief of Police, and Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky.
- Led and co-organized the 9/11 Memorial Ceremony for the Evanston Fire Department for many years.
- Invited by the City of Evanston to offer the Invocation at the City’s Martin Luther King Day celebration on many occasions.
- Invited annually to speak at Evanston’s observance of “National Night Out,” an event dedicated to crime prevention.
- Participates in “Positive Presence” at Evanston Township High School, a program designed to create a ministry of presence in the school cafeterias.
- Volunteer Chaplain at Evanston Hospital, specifically working with patients.
- Serves as Regional Supervisor for OK Kosher Supervision, supervising kosher standards for brands such as Kraft, Plachman, and Pam.
- Served as the Illinois State Representative for the International Conference of Police Chaplains.